Charles A. Penzone shares the PENZONE origin story, from his first cosmetology board exam to the first Grand Salon to launching Royal Rhino Club Barbershop & Lounge.
Some people look at PENZONE and think that we found our success easily, but this has definitely not been an overnight success. PENZONE started over 50 years ago with just two people and a $500 loan, and there was a long series of obstacles that we had to stumble over to grow into the brand we are today.
So, today, Charles A. Penzone shares the full origin story: the challenges, the big decisions (good and bad), the dream that propelled him forward after every stumble, and the thousands of people who made achieving that dream possible.
Other things mentioned in the episode:
- Charles failed his first cosmetology board exam and was fired from his first job, two weeks before Christmas
- How the company imploded in 1989
- Opening the first Grand Salon in 1991, the biggest salon and spa in the world at the time
- There’s no such thing as an overnight success. Opportunity comes through struggle.
- It’s not weak to ask for help
- Why Columbus, Ohio? AKA the best-kept secret in America
- Launching new brands like Royal Rhino Club Barbershop & Lounge and L I T Life + Yoga
- Debbie + Charles’ love story