Winter temps + dry air can wreak havoc on your hair. But don't you worry, we've got you!
Hi, hello! I’m Cece, a Designer Hair Artist at PENZONE Short North. Today I’m going to walk you through some of the dos + don’ts to keep your hair looking nice + healthy during the winter months — along with some of my favorite products! Here are my top five must-haves for all things winter hair care.
Don’t let oils intimidate you – every single hair texture can benefit from oils. A few drops on the ends of frail or staticky hair will revive dry ends. An overnight treatment for curly, coarse, or dry hair will restore oils across the whole strand.
MOROCCANOIL TREATMENT LIGHT: Enjoy healthy, silky, shiny hair that’s full of life.
leave it in.
Leave-in conditioners are a must for your hair care routine. Almost all professional leave-ins contain everything you need for the longevity of healthy hair – heat protectants, shine boost, smoothing agents, moisture, UV-protectant and more. Ask your stylist to help you determine what leave-in works best for you – we’re here to help!
OI ALL IN ONE MILK: Lightweight OI All In One Milk is a multi-function leave-in spray treatment that softens, detangles, controls frizz and protects the hair from heat.
CAVIAR ANTI-AGING RESTRUCTURING BOND REPAIR LEAVE-IN HEAT PROTECTION SPRAY: This conditioning spray helps to repair and seal the hair surface all while providing protection from heat damage up to 450°F. It creates a protective barrier around hair strands to prevent breakage, splitting + frizz, for hair that is soft, manageable + style-ready.
Deep conditioners are a helping hand all year-round, but a must in the winter. Dryness is chronic in the winter – scalp, ends, even the air. Don’t let the winter rob you of the moisture needed to keep your hair strong and manageable. Deep conditioners once a week are a great pick-me-up to add to your routine.
THE GREAT HYDRATOR MOISTURE MASK: EVO’s The Therapist Hydrating Conditioner greatly improves the moisture and manageability of hair. It’s a hydrating treatment made to moisturize + smooth.
THE CIRCLE CHRONICLES THE RENAISSANCE CIRCLE: This repairing mask gives new life to very damaged hair. It restores a healthy look to the hair giving it shine, nourishment and softness. Perfect for people who use hot tools!
- Adopt a washing regimen for your hair type — go 1-3 days between washes to avoid over-drying from hot water and shampoos. Your hair actually needs all those natural oils!
- Hair mask in the winter as needed – this includes your SCALP! The health of your scalp impacts the health and look of your hair.
- Don’t be afraid of using oils in the winter! You may experience end dryness on day 3-4 between washes. Put a couple drops on your hands, emulsify, and massage into your ends.
- Use a wet brush or wide tooth comb. Detangle the mid-to-end section of your hair before returning to the roots for a full brush through to prevent breakage.
- Sleep with wet hair or hair secured with any type of hair ties (e.g., buns or ponytails). Consider a braid or invest in an inexpensive silk wrap/pillowcase/bonnet.
- Avoid using heat every day. Use the winter season as a reparative time for those locks.
- Don’t skip your regular trims, even when it’s cold outside (or you’re working from home). Regular maintenance fosters hair growth by preventing split ends and long-term breakage. We recommend visiting the salon for maintenance every 6-8 weeks.